Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Heart for Haiti

As if a severe food shortage isn't enough, Haiti is literally drowning. See for yourself. Tropical Storm Ike is headed towards the island (after they've already been hit by Fay, Gustav and Hanna.) And we're only halfway through the hurricane season.

I wrote a few weeks ago about the rain we'd been getting here. Now I feel like a jerk.

My first trip with Compassion was to Haiti in 2003. I went to visit Youvens, the boy I sponsor.

On that trip, God tore me apart. I saw a broken and desperate part of the world that is rarely shown on the news. I saw poverty so deep that I could barely comprehend it. I couldn't even journal for a week after the trip because I was having trouble processing the experience. It was so far beyond anything I had ever imagined.

Remember what Hurricane Katrina did to New Orleans? That was devastating, but that was in a developed country where there are organizations and relief structures and safety nets. I've heard Haiti called a "fourth world country" because the situation there is so much worse than that in "third world countries."

I know God is in control, but sometimes when I read stuff like this, it feels like He has temporarily forsaken part of His creation.

Will you pray with me for Haiti?

No comments: