Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Love Story

Being a big sister is hard. I know. I've been one for 28 years.

When I was in college my brother was dating a girl that I didn't like. He had been dating her for several years and in my outspoken-pushy-big-sister sort of way, I had made it very clear to him that I didn't like her. Although I had some legitimate reasons for my concern, I did not express it in love [not even anything close to love] and it almost destroyed our relationship.

Thankfully, in God's infinite wisdom, after years of fighting, he allowed me to get to the point where I had to give up trying to control my brother's choices about whom to date, and just leave him in the Lord's hands. I stopped telling him what I thought he should do with his life. But I prayed for him constantly.

A few years later he met Valeen ...


When I read his blog post yesterday, I started crying. To hear him talk about his wife this way is what I had prayed for for so many years.

I knew that I'd do anything to fix the mess that I was in order to be the man she deserves. I knew she was much more than I deserved.
My dream is to feel that way about my husband. And have him think of me like that. I hope the Lord fulfills that dream. But it's so obvious to me now that God's plan is the best one. And his timing truly IS perfect. And when I think of stories like Chris and Valeen's, my impatience and doubt seems so silly.


When I grow up and get married, I want to be just like my little brother.

5 comments:

Christer said...

Hey thanks, Bek. But please don't cry.

I think that's the nicest post I've ever read! :)

P.S. I like that old-school photo of us. What a great shot. Where'd you get that?

Amanda said...

What a wonderful story, and you are a gifted writer! :)

Becky said...

Thanks Amanda. :)

mandy said...

awww......
love this!

Anonymous said...

That officially made me cry. Wow, Becky. That was beautiful.