Thursday, March 19, 2009

An Evening with Becky

Wow, it's Thursday already? Where did this week go?

Since the time changed and the days are warmer, I find myself living for 4:30. Every day. Don't get me wrong ... I like my job, but I LOVE summer evenings. I love leaving the office (where I've usually been cold for eight straight hours) and getting into my toasty car. I always sit for a few minutes and just soak up the warmth. Then I kick my shoes off, roll the windows down, crank the radio and enjoy the 20 minute drive home.

When I get home, usually the first thing I do is change into comfortable clothes (this inevitably includes a baseball hat and Crocs or flip flops) and take my dog for a walk. There are several paths through my neighborhood and I do a two-mile loop. On the nights when there's nothing going on at the church near my house, I'll let Havana run off leash for 10 or 15 minutes in the field next to the church.

When I get home, I'll decide what to make for dinner. I love trying new recipes and so often I'll browse through the latest issues of Gourmet, Bon Appetit or Real Simple to find a recipe to try. (Another place I find good dishes is Allrecipes.com.) As I cook I'll put a few of my most recently acquired CD's on shuffle. (This week it's Martin Sexton and India Arie.) Chris often joins me around this time, and true to his Italian heritage, he's an excellent cook. (And his eating skills are unmatched!)

After dinner, it's time to relax. This usually includes some combination of reading, watching TV, and reading blogs or Facebook. My living room windows face the west, so we often get to watch the sun go down over the mountains.

Evenings are my favorite time of day. I love the freedom to do the things I most enjoy without any agenda. I love spending quality time with my favorite person. I love relaxing and savoring the blessings God has given me.

Some might say that I waste my time on the frivolous and unimportant. That my life is too hedonistic. Or that I should be a better steward with my time. No matter how I choose to spend my time, though, there will always be more "could be's" or "should be's." In fact, I think Satan often uses guilt or a burden of responsibility to strip life of the good, the pleasurable, the enjoyable. I believe God is pleased when I'm not too busy doing his work to truly delight in his blessings.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Sounds wonderful!

I don't think it's hedonistic to enjoy life--food, family, friends, simple pleasures are proof of God's existence (and goodness), and it just doesn't make sense to ignore them in order to live up to the "could be's."