Monday, March 9, 2009

He Chose Me

Every once in a while I get completely overwhelmed with the people that God has chosen to put into my life. Does that ever happen to you? It happened for me tonight.

I haven't talked much about my boyfriend Chris on this blog. We were coworkers first before we were dating, and many of our mutual coworkers read this blog, so it's always felt a little weird to get all mushy about him here. But I feel like it's long overdue. After tonight, I couldn't NOT write about him. (Coworkers, consider yourself warned.)

I'll try to keep the mush factor to a minimum in this post, but you guys, he is seriously unbelievable. I am in awe that God has decided that we're right for each other. I don't deserve him. Here's an example ...

Tonight, I was having one "those" nights. Nothing major happened, but for some reason I was in a funk. I felt burdened by life, annoyed at the world, frustrated with my dog, crampy, tired, and irritable. I know I was not pleasant company. On top of all that, tonight is Monday, which means we had dance class (a.k.a. our weekly fight.)

There were so many reasons for Chris to get frustrated with me. But you know what? He didn't.

He didn't say "I told you so" when my dog ignored me, even though he HAS told me many times exactly how to train her. He didn't get impatient with me when I messed up the dance steps. Over and over again. He didn't try to pull me out of my funk or fix anything - he was just there with me while I was in it. He allowed me to be grouchy without allowing it to affect him. He listened to me and hugged me and encouraged me and told me I was lovely.

This man was a perfect reflection of Christ to me tonight. And do you want to know the most amazing part? He is like that a lot. Even in those times when he gets stressed or angry or frustrated, he somehow manages to keep God in focus. I've never met anyone who is able to do that like he does.

There's so much more I want to say about him, but I'll save that for another post. Suffice it to say I feel incredibly lucky - no, incredibly blessed - that he thinks I'm worth loving.

I'm honored that he's chosen me.

10 comments:

Amber said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. That's so sweet.

Your matching T-shirt combos are a bit mushy though.:)

Christer said...

Becky — great post. Way to go out on the limb and say it how it is. You've honored Chris for honoring you, and all this mutual honoring is honoring to God. Honor honor honor.

Chris — thanks for being that way to my sister. She deserves nothing less. You are the 3rd sister whose potential spouse has not required my knocking off or at least maiming, and for that I am grateful.

Jamie said...

Becky - Thanks for sharing this. It's good to hear about that part of your life... and I love that I get to be part of it, too. You both are great!

The Chris - Well said with all the honoring stuff. I agree!

Anonymous said...

God is good...all the time!!

Carmen said...

Bring on the mush. You should get to share it...even if co-workers are going to read it. I'd like to just take this moment to let you know, I hired Chris :)

Becky said...

Carmen, I owe you. :)

blissfullykrissy said...

good stuff becky! i know chemistry when i see it. :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww! Such a sweet post. You guys make an adorable couple :)

Becky said...

Thanks guys! I'm feeling rather lucky these days.

Carolyn said...

Man this totally blesses me. I knew that God would provide an amazing partner for you, Becky. IKnewItIKnewItIKnewIt.

Chris G - you are an answer to prayer! I am so thankful for your presence in Becky's life.

My only grumble about this relationship is that you live in CO and I live in MN. Grrrr.